Thursday, January 11, 2018

Social Intelligence

In George Couros' book, Innovator's Mindset, he states that 1/4 of success is attributed to academic knowledge, and 3/4 of success is attributed to Social Intelligence and the ability to handle success.

This makes me think of what we teach, and how we instruct. If we are coming out of a test-driven culture in schools, and focusing more on student interest, Social Intelligence should be a critical part of the education. The trick is embedding this in our students.

I'm pondering a couple of questions:
1. Is the school setting the only place Social Intelligence can be taught? What about the role of home life? Family? Friends?
2. Do the adults in our community provide outstanding modeling of what Social Intelligence looks like? I've never had a lesson in SI, but I think I know what it looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment